Healthy Beverages for Man´s Best Friend
Dogs can only consume certain fruits, because some are harmful to their digestive system, such as chocolate. The beverages included in this article can prevent cellular damage and strengthen the immune system.
Did you know that it is possible to increase your dog’s hydration by including healthy and delicious beverages in its diet? Your best friend can enjoy the taste and nutritional benefits from natural fruit and vegetable juices. Below, we invite you to know some exquisite recipes for healthy drinks for our dogs.
Nutritional needs in your dog’s diet
We always want to offer tasty and nutritious meals to our beloved pets. Just be aware that a dog’s body is different from ours. Our best friends have their own nutritional needs, as well as specific food sensitivities or intolerances.
Many foods seem delicious but they can pose a serious threat to your dog´s health. Surely, chocolate is the ’emblematic’ example of a food loved by humans that´s extremely harmful to dogs.
In addition to chocolate, there are a number of foods harmful to a dog’s health, including fruits and vegetables, especially in their fresh, raw state.
Foods Prohibited for dogs
- Fruits: Dogs should not consume lemons, oranges, grapefruits, avocados, grapes, raisins, seeds and macadamia nuts.
- Vegetables: Garlic, onions, leeks and chives are toxic to pets. Additionally, we should prevent offering them raw potatoes, stalks and raw vegetables in general.
- Drinks: Dogs should never consume sodas or sugary drinks, such as industrialized juices or flavored soft drinks. Also coffee, tea and chocolate drinks are harmful and should never be included in their diet. Additionally, alcoholic beverages are extremely harmful to their health.
- Candy: Our pets cannot eat human sweets, like candy, cookies or chocolates. These foods contain many fats, sugars and flours that weaken their digestive system.
- Chemical or biological ferments: The consumption of biological yeasts and chemical ferments usually cause many digestive problems, such as gas, diarrhea and vomiting. In high doses, these substances can intoxicate our dogs.
Healthy drinks: What ingredients can be used?
To prepare delicious healthy drinks for dogs, you can use healthy fruits and vegetables. A high consumption of vitamins and minerals in these foods is very good for supplementing their diet. Likewise,when a proper doses is administered they contain fiber that favors digestion and helps prevent constipation.
On the other hand, fruits offer antioxidants which are essential to strengthen the immune system and prevent cell damage. Although we associate antioxidants with aesthetics, these substances are indispensable for fighting against free radicals and degenerative diseases.
Healthy drinks made from fruits and vegetables are also an excellent option for the summer. During the hottest days of the year, it is essential that we increase our pets’ hydration. We can help them cool off and stay well-hydrated with delicious and nutritious refreshments.
Five healthy fruit drinks for dogs
- Blueberry Juice: Blueberry juice is one of the best, most nutritious, healthiest drinks for dogs. This fruit has a high amount of antioxidants, vitamin C and fibers. However, excessive consumption can cause diarrhea and vomiting. It is important to remove the blueberries’ seeds before making the juice for dogs.
- Nutritious strawberry soft drink: Like blueberries, strawberries offer an excellent supply of vitamin C and antioxidants. Also, they have digestive and diuretic properties, which are very beneficial for the canine body. Remember to strain the strawberry juice before offering it to your best friend.
- Watermelon juice: Watermelons have a very high water content. They are excellent for good hydration. A moderate consumption of watermelon juice provides many vitamins and is very refreshing. You can offer this drink to your dog once or twice a week. Remove the seeds first.
- Healthy drink from peaches: Peaches are rich in iron, soluble fibers and antioxidants. Therefore, they help improve bowel movements, and prevent anemia, constipation and degenerative diseases. Remember to remove the skin and pit beforehand.
- Melon soft drink: Melons have diuretic and antioxidant properties, and are rich in vitamins A and E. They also offer an excellent supply of water, which keep our pet well-hydrated.