Your dog’s anal glands
There are two small bags in a dog’s anus that give off an oily substance that stinks. It helps other dogs distinguish if the animal is scared or wants to play. These are the anal glands.
Your dogs’ anal glands are a very essential part of his body because they have an important function that we will tell you about below. Although it is a part that we tend to neglect, we are going to tell you why you should take care of them and how to do it.
What are the anal glands and where are they?
Your dog’s anal glands are two small bags that are located in your dog’s anus. Its function is to release an oily substance that smells very similar to the feces of your animal. This is also an excrement of your animal’s body, so his glands should always be empty.
The anal glands serve as a mode of sensory and body language to communicate with other dogs. For example, the smell that they give off can indicate to another dog if this one feels scared, has the desire to play or is ready for mating.
Sometimes, they are filled with this substance and that the animal cannot get rid of any digestive problem, however small it may be. This will cause pain in the abdominal area of your animal, and he could get sick have a fever, stop eating or lose interest in everything.
As you see, although they are small, your dog’s anal glands can cause serious problems. Therefore, it is important to know about them and know how to take care of them.
What can cause problems
When your dog’s anal glands are full, it’s because the animal has lost the natural ability to empty them. Then, you will begin to notice that your dog is dragging his behind on the ground trying to press the area to get rid of the pain.
He might also lick his anus repetitively and intensely or chase his tail obsessively. The sole purpose of all these movements is to alleviate the pain and to try to empty them naturally.
How to deal with problems in your dog’s anal glands
When your dog has an accumulation of fluid in the glands, you must proceed to empty them. It’s not fun to do it, but if you do not want to go to the vet, and if you dare, you can do it yourself at home. To do this, follow these tips:
- Find out how to do it from a professional. Ask a veterinarian how to do the emptying and do not rush yourself until you have understood all the steps you should take.
- You both must be calm. Both you and your dog must be relaxed and in an environment and moment where peace and relaxation are foremost. This is something important, since both of you will have a hard time.
- Locate his glands. The first thing is to try to find the your dog’s anal glands. Do it quietly, without haste and without sudden movements. Talk to him while you do it and pet him, so that the animal does not feel intimidated.
- Once you know where they are and see that they are full, put on some gloves and prepare to squeeze on both sides of the gland, as if it were a pimple. Do not forget to put down a towel or cloth under the animal so as not to stain surface below when the liquid comes out.
- Pet your friend. If you think that although this was necessary, it has not been pleasant for you, we assure you that for your dog it has been even less so. For that, he deserves a reward. This is a step that you must not forget.
Remember that your dog is a dependent living being: it depends on you. Therefore, you have to be aware of any problem he may have and do everything possible to solve it.