Logo image
Logo image

Why You Should Never Give Your Pet Sweets

3 minutes
There are people that think that a small piece of chocolate or giving sweets to a pet or any other food with sugar is not going to harm them.
Why You Should Never Give Your Pet Sweets
Last update: 11 April, 2018

It’s medically proven that giving pets sweets puts the health of your dog in danger for different reasons.

In fact any type of food that contains sugar is considered poison for the animal. So if every once in a while you like to make sweets and you believe that because your animal looks at you while you’re making them you should give him a little piece, listen to the reasons why you shouldn’t.

What’s the effect of giving our pets sweets?

Some figure
  • Poisoning. Sugar is considered one of the most poisonous foods for a dog, as it can unleash serious sickness and even death, so giving sweets to your pet, even in small quantities, is like poisoning your companion little by little.
  • Diabetes. Dogs are very prone to suffer from this disease. Although the quantities of sweets that you might give him are minimal, any amount of sweets can worsen a diabetic dog’s condition.
  • Alterations. We must never forget that dogs are different from us in many senses and their stomach is something that’s very different from ours. Their stomach cannot metabolize certain substances that we’re accustomed to eating and sugar is one of these. Its high glucose content cannot be digested by your animal, leading to serious disorders in his body.
  • Obesity. This composition of glucose has high fat content and lots of calories and if your dog eats it, even in small quantities but on a continual basis, it will elevate their weight visibly, leading to other types of problems such as cardiac problems for example.
  • Pancreatitis. To combat excess fat, the body creates an enzyme that helps digest and absorb it. This enzyme known as the lipase forms in the pancreas. Then, the pancreas creates it in great quantity. This leads it to become enlarged. Pancreatitis is a huge issue.

Chocolate, the most common sugary food

All dogs are fascinated with chocolate. Just by smelling it they already know that it’s nearby and when you’re eating it and your furry friend comes over to watch you with those sad eyes, you can’t help giving him a little piece. But are you doing the right thing?

The responses clear: NO. Chocolate is not only poisonous because it contains sugar, but also its component parts turn into one of the most dangerous foods that exist.

One of those components is Theobromine, which is present in great quantities in a bar of chocolate.

The problem is that we people have the ability to absorb and metabolize Theobromine rapidly, but dogs do it very slowly, almost not at all, which makes it accumulate in their body until reaching toxic levels that can even kill your pet. So giving these sweets to your pet is very dangerous.

Can small doses of sugar harm my pet?

Perhaps not. But what for you may be a small quantity, for your dog’s stomach may not be.

On the other hand, you may give it to him or want to give him a small quantity every once in a while, but will you have the control to know how much and want to give it to him? We don’t think it’s very feasible, which is what scientific studies have proven, better to never give a sweet to your pet and avoid problems altogether. Think about the fact that your dog’s life is at play.

Other food that you shouldn’t give your dog

Some figure

There are other foods that you should avoid completely as they can cause great harm to your pet. Here is the list:

  • Milk
  • Bones
  • Alcohol
  • Seasoned meats (this includes sausage)
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Coffee
  • Grapes or raisins

We encourage you to read our articles related to these foods and to know why they’re not a good option for your dog. Don’t think about it much, the life of your best friend is at play.

This text is provided for informational purposes only and does not replace consultation with a professional. If in doubt, consult your specialist.