Dog Colognes and Perfumes: Good or Bad?
There are different opinions about dog colognes and other types of perfumes for dogs. In some cases, specialists say that they don’t cause any harm to the animal. However, according to the opinions of others, it’s not a good idea and it’s best to let your dog smell like a dog.
The prices of dog colognes and perfumes can vary depending on the manufacturer and the brand. The most popular bottle has a capacity of 150 milliliters and costs between 10 and 20 dollars.
Zero alcohol dog colognes
Most colognes and perfumes for dogs do not contain alcohol, this way your dog’s skin won’t dry out. Therefore, they won’t cause allergies in healthy canines.
Dog colognes come in aromas that are similar to human perfumes and they have deodorant properties. In cases of moderate usage, there are no risks. However, in cases of abuse, the overused product can cover the odor of some diseases. Remember, there is no need for a dog to use cologne. So in actuality, it’s the owner who uses them to make an animal smell good.
The correct application
Dog colognes are applied in a simple manner that always avoids making contact with the dog’s nose, eyes, genitals, and areas where there is no fur. The right moment to use it is right after bathing the pet because their fur is clean and the effects of the perfume are more durable. However, you should not use them on a daily basis.
Guidelines to make sure your dog doesn’t stink
- Bathing should take place once a week to once a month, depending on the age, breed, and size of the animal. Be sure to use a good quality deodorizing shampoo on your dog. Another option is to use a shampoo with an aroma, to leave a pleasant smell on your dog, that way you won’t need to use cologne.
- When your dog comes home wet after going on a walk, their odor will intensify and create that awful wet dog smell. Therefore, when you get home, you have to dry them well so that the unpleasant odor goes away.
- The ears and mouth are two parts that can smell bad if they aren’t clean. If they are clean and they still smell bad, then you should look closely at their fur in case there is an infection, fungus or any condition that produces a foul odor.
Homemade perfumes and colognes for dogs
There are many natural homemade recipes for dog colognes that are for dogs. Among the ingredients or elements that can be used are warm water, a spray bottle, vanilla extract, lavender essence, coconut oil, etc.
The use of cologne for dogs with natural fruit fragrances will provide a fresh after bath smell and an intense deodorant effect that’s very pleasant. These fragrances won’t be harmful to your dog’s skin and nose because they don’t contain any alcohol.
Some negative aspects
The downfall of using colognes for dogs claim are the following:
- The strong perfume smell can change a dog’s mood. It’s not comfortable for them to perceive such a strong smell.
- Your dog’s sense of smell is so developed that a strong smell can be harmful.
- The feeling your dog gets from the smell can be very annoying to them and cause certain unhygienic behaviors such as rolling around in your garden, soil, etc.
- A strong cologne can cause irritation in your dog’s skin, even dermatitis.
- A strong smell can also influence your dog’s relationship with other animals when they approach him such as indentify your dog’s gender, etc.