5 tips to have your dog sleep through the entire night
Your dog should sleep all night long for an average of 8 to 9 hours, provided it is healthy and has reached adulthood. But it can happen that, for various reasons, it wakes up at inappropriate moments and disturbs the entire family´s slumber. Let us tell you what must be taken into consideration for your pet to get back its normal sleeping pattern.
Health problems that can disturb a dog’s normal sleep pattern
A dog that has trouble sleeping will probably look tired and apathetic, also it may be restless, irritable or nervous. The lack of sleep will alter its social dynamics and decrease its quality of life. When a dog suddenly changes the way it sleeps, it may be feeling some type of discomfort or pain. Talk to a veterinarian to find out if that is the case.
Keep in mind, the health problems that can alter our furry friend’s normal sleep are:
- Degenerative diseases. For example, osteoarthritis.
- Spinal column issues.
- Thyroid dysfunction.
- Cardiac or respiratory difficulties.
A dog waking up at night is not only a problem for the animal, but also for the rest of its human family. Let us tell you a series of tips for your dog to sleep throughout the night.
Some tips to get your dog sleep all night long
But if your furry friend is healthy and it still cannot sleep normally during the night, pay attention to the following tips. You may find the answer for your pet to recover its normal sleeping pattern:
- Try not to change your dog’s routine. Most likely a dog that has schedule hours to eat, go for walks and play will have a fixed hour to sleep and it will not wake up in the middle of the night in order to be with you.
- Provide your pet with a comfortable, quiet, clean space with the proper temperature and ventilation for it to rest. This will make it feel safe and protected, and improve its sleeping.
- Make sure your dog´s designated sleeping space is far from disturbing noises. Remember dog’s ears are much more developed than ours. For example, being near a window facing a large city street, even at night, will probably not be free from horns, engines and sirens.
- Do not give a large meal too your four-legged friend. Just as it is for you, too much food can cause sleeping problems. Make sure it doesn´t fall asleep immediately after eating either.
- Make sure your furry friend gets a proper amount of walks, exercise, and play. An animal that uses up its energy will have a more restful sleep than others which don´t get enough of these type of activities. A good walk after the last daily meal will surely do wonders to ensure it a good rest.
Issues that may wake up your pet in the middle of the night
Additionaly, dogs can wake up at night for the following specific reasons:
- Noises caused by strong storms or fireworks during some kind of celebration.
- Female dogs in heat. If a male perceives the smell of a female during this period, he will surely be disturbed and will want to go after her and forget about sleeping. That is why it is good reason to get your dog neutered.
- Different stress and anxiety causing situations: moving to a new home, family arguments, deaths, births, divorces, etc.
In any case, keep in mind that both puppies and senior animals can have disturbances in their sleep.
Ask for professional help to get your dog to sleep all night
If our advice has been of no use for you and your dog still is having sleepless nights, it is most likely the right moment to have an appointment with an animal behavior specialist. With patience and dedication, surely you can find a solution to this problem, and sooner or later, your furry friend will sleep all night long like an angel.