Do You Know How to Massage Your Dog?
Dogs are very dependent animals that love to get lots of attention all day long. We, on the other hand, love to pamper and pet them. But, did you know that you can take advantage of these occasions to give them a massage that they will love and benefit from?
Dogs love massages, so if you want to give one to your pet, do not miss our tips to do so.
Why give massages to a dog?
We all like a good massage, because it relaxes us and brings us benefits on a physical and emotional level. Our dogs are not different in this case.
The most well-known benefits of canine massages are the following:
- It improves circulation. External stimulation dilates blood vessels and allows blood to circulate better. This will also allow the your dog’s life to be longer and healthier, as it will prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- It reduces anxiety and stress. Dogs can go through various situations that stress them and make them anxious. For example, boredom or lack of exercise.
- It detects diseases. Sometimes, a swelling, a bite, or another type of abnormality felt in or under the skin can indicate a health problem in our dog that we did not know about.
- It releases the love hormone. This hormone, which also allows the bond between you and your dog to be reinforced, is released thanks to the massages that you give.
- Massaging your dog will make your friendship more intimate and your living situation will improve. You will be dedicating special time that it will value very much and will know how to reward you for it.
How to give a massage to your dog
Obviously, for your dog to enjoy all these benefits, the massage must be well done. We explain to you how to do it below.
Follow these simple steps:
- Make him relax. The first thing is to look for a comfortable place with a good temperature where the animal feels calm. Then, pet it while it is lying down. You know it better than anyone, and you know which way is the best way to get it to relax.
- Start by the neck. In a gentle way, with just the tips of your fingers, massage its neck with circular movements that are adapted to the size of the dog.
- After, gently move down to the shoulders so that the massage goes gradually without the animal noticing and it will relax.
- From the shoulders to the chest and front legs.
- Then it moves towards the back and ends in the hind legs. If it does not like to have its tail touched, it is better to avoid doing so during the massage.
- If during or after the massage it has fallen asleep, do not wake it up. Let him enjoy the relaxation that the massage has brought him.
Benefits according to massage areas
Studies on canine health show that each area of the dog’s body that has been massaged provides benefits of certain attitudes and feelings. These are the results obtained:
- Head. Massaging in this area helps the nervous system and the stomach.
- Ears. Massaging this area will help against stress and anxiety.
- Back. This will be very useful for restless and hyperactive dogs.
- Belly. Digestive problems.
- Legs. This will help with good joint function, as well as avoiding infections.
- Chest. This will favor good heart function, avoiding heart diseases.
- Feet. The lower part of the legs will improve its comfort and its confidence in itself and in you.
- Hind legs. This will help flexibility and range of movement.
Do not forget to massage your dog, it will thank you and it will improve the living situation for both of you.