What If a Bee Stings My Dog?

March 31, 2019
Find out what to do if your dog gets stung by a bee or a wasp.

It doesn’t have to be summer to see bees and wasps buzzing around the place. Just as we can sometimes be a target for them, the same thing can be said for our pets. Bee stings can be very painful for a dog, so it’s important to be prepared, and to know how to react if it happens.

Even if it’s never happened before, prevention is better than cure. So, today we want to tell you what steps to take in case a bee stings your dog.

What to do if a bee stings my dog?

A white dog running through some long grass.

The first thing to know is that bee stings leave a white inflammation and this should be the only sign of a sting. If you see other symptoms, it’s possible that your dog has an allergy. In this case, go straight to your vet.

If your dog also seems weak, starts vomiting, has a fever, or has any other unusual symptoms, then it’s certain to be an allergy. In this case, any first aid you provide won’t be enough and you’ll need to see a vet quickly.

First: remove the stinger

The poison is inside the insect’s stinger. Therefore, the first step is to remove it. Although you might initially think that you should use tweezers, this can be a serious mistake. You might break the stinger and then the poison will be able to spread further.

To remove it properly, it’s best to use a credit card or a piece of stiff cardboard. Using a scraping motion, try to gently force the stinger out, using your hand to apply pressure.

Clean the area

Once you’ve removed the stinger, you next need to clean the area with plenty of soapy water. This will help to get rid of any remaining poison. It’s important not to scrub, as this will just hurt your dog further. Remember to use neutral soap and, if possible, one free of chemicals.

Wash the area gently as you would with a baby. Make sure the area is well-cleaned and disinfected. If you wish, you can apply a little hydrogen peroxide, but never alcohol.

Relieve the pain

The next step is to relieve the pain caused by the bee sting. Ice can be great for this. It will reduce the swelling and relieve your dog’s pain immediately.

Another great way is with baking sodaA teaspoon in a cup of water will be plenty to moisten a cloth and apply it to the affected area.

Aloe vera can also be great for this task. If you’ve got a plant at home, just cut off a stalk and apply it directly to the affected area. Remember to part your dog’s fur. If you want, you can cut it back a little to get to the area easier.

If you don’t have an aloe vera plant, you can find creams and lotions which are 99% aloe vera. These can work just as well.

Take your dog to the vet

A husky with a vet after suffering bee stings.

The previous steps are all things you can do at home. But if your dog appears to have an allergy, abnormal swelling, other abnormal symptoms, you should go straight to your vet.

Whatever it is, whether you’ve treated it at home or visited your vet, make sure you inspect the sting each day. Sometimes it can get worse. If you monitor it closely, you’ll avoid further problems. Don’t assume that it’s nothing serious. It costs nothing to be a little attentive and pay attention to your dog’s well-being.