Cat and Dog Food: Can A Cat Eat Dog Food?
Dogs and cats have very different needs. Whether medical, emotional, nutritional, or whatever it may be, dogs and cats are like apples and oranges. However, there are many people that believe that cat and dog food are similar and both can eat either of them. However, is this true? There are many reasons why giving a cat dog food is a bad idea. Let’s take a look.
Cat and dog food
Dog food is composed of Beta Carotene. This is a compound that the canine organism is capable of transforming into vitamin A.
Cats don’t have this ability. Instead, they need food that already contains vitamin A. In addition, cats also need Taurine, which is an amino acid that dogs are capable of producing on their own.
Dog food is low in fat and protein, and high in vitamins. This is because it’s easy for dogs to become overweight. However, cats need a high protein and fat content. If you feed a cat dog food it could cause malnutrition and cause the animal to fall seriously ill.
Of course, this is only will happen if the cat eats dog food on a regular basis. Your cat won’t get sick if you run out of food and give your cat dog food once every blue moon. However, we recommend giving your cat sausages or tuna if possible. However, if there are no other options, dog food is better than nothing.
Although your cat might like your dog’s food, it’s not what they need. The same is true for dogs, they can’t eat cat food.
Tips to get your cat to eat their food
If you have a cat and a dog, it’s possible that they sometimes interchange each others food. Maybe they like the smell or taste of the other’s food more than their own. If you can’t teach each animal to only go to their own food bowl, you can try some of the following:
- Use different bowls. Don’t use the same bowl for serving cat and dog food because this can confuse the animals. Choose different shapes and colors. Show them which one belongs to each animal.
- Put the food in different places. Have each animal eat in a different area of the house. If necessary, you can store the food somewhere out of their reach and not give them food until they ask for it.
- Make feeding schedules. If you leave food out of their sight, they could start searching for it. Feed them on schedules so they don’t try to eat the food that isn’t theirs.
- Teach them commands. Although this works more with dogs, cats can also learn commands such as “don’t touch,” or “no.” This can help you when you see your cat going to eat dog food.
Homemade cat food recipes
Of course, sometimes you may run out of cat food and you can’t get to the store on time. In cases like this, it’s good to have already spoken to a vet about what kind of food your cat can have. Below are you some ideas for things your cat might be able to eat:
- Meatballs. They are full of protein and a great food for your cat. The meat can have a little fat, but make sure there’s not too much because cats can become overweight. Also, add vegetables because your cat needs vitamins, especially vitamin A.
- Tuna with vegetables. This is as easy as opening a can of tuna (preferably in water). Drain it well and mix small pieces of carrots or other vegetables. Don’t add salt or any other spices or condiments.
- Salmon. A piece of grilled salmon will drive your cat crazy. There is nothing they like more than fish. If you don’t have salmon, you can give your cat another type of fish.
These are just some ideas, but you know best what your pet will like. Remember, giving your pets other food besides cat and dog food is something that should only happen in a case of emergencies. It shouldn’t be a habit.