Tips for Choosing a Pet Insurance Policy
Most companies usually insure animals that are between three months and eight years old that are identified with a microchip.
Like any owner, you should be responsible for the safety of your pets. If you protect our personal belongings, like our cars and houses, why not insure your most loyal companions? Therefore, in today’s article you can learn about some tips for choosing a pet insurance policy.
How does a pet insurance policy work?
Pet insurance works similar to health insurance. Its meant to protect us and our pets against unexpected events, such as accidents or illnesses. It’s intended for every pet owner, but its coverage is almost always limited to dogs and cats. Companies that offer pet insurance typically have a wide range of services to choose from.
You should get a coverage that includes services that are most suitable for your pet’s needs. Then, you’ll have to compare the benefits, costs, and limitations of each package. This play an important for choosing an insurance policy for your loyal companion.
To calculate the exact cost of a pet insurance policy, the insurer shall require the following information: species, breed, age certificate, and a health voucher issued by a veterinarian.
In addition, most companies usually insure animals that are between three months and eight years’ old that are identified with a microchip.
Choosing a pet insurance policy: coverage and services
It’s important to notice the services that each policy includes vary pursuant to the insurance company. However, according to consultants and specialists in this field, good basic coverage must include:
- Civil liability in case of damage to third parties.
- Loss or robbery of the pet: some companies include an animal search service in case of getting lost.
- Death due to an accident.
- Euthanization in the event of a terminal illness or accident with severe damage.
- 24-hour phone assistance.
Comprehensive quality coverage should cover the basic services mentioned above, plus the following:
- Complete veterinary assistance, including preventive medicine: appointments, vaccination, laboratory analysis and diagnostic tests, surgical interventions, hospitalization, and veterinary care at home.
- Most companies work like a health insurance plan, they have on-duty professionals, clinics, and hospitals. Some also offer reimbursement for appointments and treatments from non-affiliated professionals.
- Hospitalization or assisted care in case of surgery or illness.
- Help with burial expenses. Many companies fully cover cremation costs for the animal’s remains.
Economically, is an insurance policy for pets worth it?
There isn’t a definitive answer for this question. Each owner must calculate how much he invests monthly or annually on his pet’s health.
The cost of your pet’s insurance will depend on the coverage you choose. Since most owners generally pay for a comprehensive coverage, it’s a good idea to consider that cost when making calculations.
Is it worth it? That depends on your own calculations and budget. The big advantage of comprehensive insurance coverage is that it covers unforeseen expenses, besides protecting owners and their dogs against civil liability to third parties.
5 Tips for choosing a pet insurance policy
If you choose a pet insurance policy carelessly, it might be useless when it comes to actually using its services. With the following advice, you can choose an insurance policy for your companion easily and effectively:
- Compare coverage and services that each insurer offers. They aren’t always the same, so you need to analyze them.
- Make sure it includes coverage for civil liability for damage to third parties and accidents.
- Be sure to fulfill the requirements for purchasing and keeping coverage: accepted age range, microchip identification, vaccinations and deworming up-to-date, and proof of pedigree.
- Check the scope of the policy: Is it valid only in your country and other countries? Does your insurance cover international traveling to another continent?