4 Tricks You Can Teach a Cat
Tricks you can teach a cat
We’ll start with a trick that all pet owners want to teach. Shaking hands with your animal can give you great satisfaction. However, we’ve seen dogs do it, but can you teach cats to do it too? Yes!
Choose the right place and time. Avoid distractions or noises that can distract the animal or even make it nervous.
Choose a command or use a clicker (there is information on this device below). Decide which word you will use to refer to the command: it can be “shake”, “hello” or “paw”.
Choose a reward he likes. Positive reinforcement is the best option to teach a pet. Having a prize to give your cat when he obeys is the perfect motivation for him to keep doing so.
Shake his paw. While teaching your cat this trick, use the word you have chosen as the command or use the clicker, so the animal links the two together.
Show him the reward. If you tell him the magic word, take his paw, and show him the reward, he will associate everything and it won’t take him too long to learn.
Make him come when you call
- Choose a treat as a reward
- Show your cat the treat as you call her, like you always do. Only this time, she’ll listen to you.
- Always use the same command to call your cat. However, don’t give him the reward right away. Let him smell it, then congratulate him for coming, and then give him a prize.
- Don’t repeat it for a long time. Animals get tired and bored, and they can’t concentrate for that long. Therefore, do small training sessions with breaks that are twice as long as the sessions, and you’ll see that it works.
- Choose a toy you want your cat to fetch and show it to him. Let him smell it and recognize it.
- Throw the toy as far as you can. Few cats will resist to go after a toy flying in the air.
- He probably won’t catch it, so you’ll have to go get it. If he has, take it away carefully.
- Return to the start with the cat and the toy. The feline should know that you have the toy.
- If you repeat this a few times, the cat will eventually understand what you want.
Use a clicker
If you use rewards with the clicker, you’ll get good results. Use it only for training. If you use it to play, you’ll confuse the animal and you won’t be able to train him.