Find Out How Long a Parrot Can Live
Parrots are known for their fabulous ability to speak and imitate the sounds of various animals. In addition, they have a beautiful variety of plumages that stand out for their bright colors. All this makes them one of the most beloved pets for bird lovers. But have you ever wondered how long a parrot can live?
These birds belong to the Psittaciformes order, which also includes macaws and parakeets. In fact, parrots are actually a group of several species that have the same common name. Because of this, there’s a big difference between their life expectancies. Read on as we answer to find out how long a parrot lives.
What are parrots?
Parrots are a group of psittacine birds characterized by colorful plumage, a hooked beak, and a prehensile tongue. They inhabit a wide variety of ecosystems ranging from jungles to mountainous pine-oak forests. However, several of these traits have attracted the attention of humans and they’re often taken from their homes to be used as pets.
In fact, the ecological status of parrots is far from stable and several countries have already banned their possession. An example of this is Mexico, where all national species are classified in some category of risk, so their commercialization is prohibited. Before buying any of these birds, it’s good to make sure that the local legislation allows it and grants the necessary permits.
Is it bad to have a parrot?
Having a parrot shouldn’t be perceived as something bad as long as there are adequate regulations to have one. This means that it’s necessary to check their provenance to ensure that they aren’t taken from the wild. For this reason, during the purchase, the documents of the breeder, the legal permits, and the certificates of origin of each specimen are usually provided.
If you have everything you need and you have made sure that your pet comes from a certified breeder, then there should be no problem for you to have it at home. The only thing left to do is to take good care of your new companion and offer it an excellent quality of life. Remember that the extent and quality of care can either increase or decrease the number of years a parrot lives.
How long can a parrot live?
The life expectancy of these birds can vary quite a bit due to different factors. As mentioned above, there isn’t a single species of parrot; several species are referred to as parrots. The longevity of the group as a whole is between 5 and 75 years. To be a little more specific, the following list compiles some types of parrots with their life expectancy:
- Grey parrot (Psittacus erithacus): 40-60 years.
- Turquoise-fronted Amazon parrot (Amazona aestiva): 25-75 years.
- Eclectus (Eclectus roratus): 30-60 years.
- Senegal parrot (Poicephalus senegalus): more than 30 years.
- White-crowned parrot (Pionus senilis): 25 years.
- Red-fronted parrot (Poicephalus gulielmi): 21 years.
- Coconut lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus): 15-25 years.
What factors can affect how long a parrot can live?
The number of years a parrot can live isn’t only determined by its species, as nutrition, veterinary care, and mental health also count a lot. If the parrot is to reach its maximum lifespan, the following points should be taken into account:
- The cage should be spacious. This allows them to relieve their stress and strengthens their immune system. In addition, it encourages exercise and improves the absorption of nutrients by the metabolism. In no case should a parrot be housed in an environment less than 1 meter long (3.3 feet) and high. In addition, it should leave its cage for 2 hours a day.
- It should have company. Some species of parrots tend to live in flocks naturally, so that by raising them with other companions their mental health improves and they remain more active.
- Acquire from a reputable place. Certified breeders carry out rigorous processes to ensure that parrots have fewer health problems. If you acquire your pet from a place of dubious legality, it’s likely to be prone to different diseases in the future.
- Provide a proper diet. Remember that the diet of these birds should be as varied as possible. Don’t just use commercial pellets, but also add grains, seeds, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. A good balance of everything will improve their health and immune system.
How old can a parrot live to?
Most of the above data are only averages, so each bird has the capacity to surpass them if it’s given a good quality of life. An example of this is the famous parrot “Poncho” who has lived for about 87 years. According to the newspaper The Times, this beautiful animal participated in the Disney movie “102 Dalmatians“. This means that it has lived longer than an average human.
Parrots are birds that require a great commitment for life, as their longevity can be so long that it could even surpass that of humans. Consequently, if you think you can fulfill such responsibilities for the rest of your life, try to get a pet of this type. Otherwise, look for other species that better suit your needs and possibilities.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Rodriguez, C. (2019). ¿Ambiente rico? Loros felices. Ciencia, 70(2), 88-94.
- Cantú, J. & Sánchez, M. (2018). Guía de identificación de Psitacidos mexicanos. Recuperado el 26 de enero de 2022, disponible en: http://pericosmexico.org/pdf/Guia_de_pericos.pdf
- Durán, A. & Godínez, O. (2020). Los loros en cautiverio: extinción por admiración. Universitarios Potosinos, 4-8.
- Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (2015). Trámite SEMARNAT-08-032. Recuperado el 26 de enero de 2022, disponible en: https://www.gob.mx/semarnat/documentos/tramite-semarnat-08-032
- The Times (2012). World’s oldest parrot (or so she says) is former filmer star now aged 87. Recuperado el 26 de enero de 2022, disponible en: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/worlds-oldest-parrot-or-so-she-says-is-former-filmer-star-now-aged-87-lt280dr9jzg