How to Choose the Best Dog Hotel for Your Pet
What if I can't take my dog on vacation?
When thinking about going on vacation, we have to consider our dog too. What if we can’t take him with us? We think about leaving him with a relative, but they’re all going on vacation too! So, what about the option of a dog hotel?
Thanks to all the entrepreneurs that have been emerging during the last decade, you could say everything has already been invented. That includes hotels for dogs! We’re going to tell you a bit more about them.
What is a dog hotel?
A dog hotel is a place where we can leave our pet for a few days and guarantee the best possible care for him.
Although there are businesses exclusively dedicated to this, you can also find veterinary clinics and hospitals that will receive some dogs as guests.
However, a great advantage of a Dog Hotel is its outdoor spaces. There are other animals around and they don’t keep them in cages.
Maybe you didn’t know, but it’s very likely there’s a dog hotel near you where you can leave your pooch. The question that arises is: How can you choose a good place where you’ll have peace of mind that your pet will be well taken care of?
How to choose a good dog hotel
Unfortunately, as with most things, there are dog hotels that don’t have a good reputation. Because of this, knowing how to choose an ideal one is paramount. Follow these tips and you’ll be sure to find a good one:
- Look for opinions online. When you find a dog hotel, look for information about it and see what other users say. If you can also chat on the hotel’s webpage with any of them, all the better. If there are no reviews, this can mean two things: either it’s a newly opened business, or it’s not very good! In this case, it would be better if you visited it personally.
- Compare. Don’t settle on the first place you see. Give yourself plenty of time to look. Look at the advantages and disadvantages and prices, in order to make a good decision.
- Go personally. Don’t just go with what you found online, go there yourself. Look at the facilities, meet the staff, observe how they treat the other animals. Ask them to show you the kennel where your dog would be, etc.
- Talk to other clients. It’s possible that while you are on the premises there will be other clients around. Talk to them and ask about the place’s reputation. Ask if it’s the first time they’ve left their pet there and ask about their experiences. Hearing positive opinions from others will help you feel relaxed.
- Find out about security measures. Talk to the staff and ask all the questions you feel are necessary. Things like: what would happen if a dog attacked your dog, if there’s a possibility of the dogs escaping, what medical assistance is available in case of an accident, etc.
Once in the hotel
When you’ve finally chosen the best dog hotel for your pet, think about the following matters:
- Make sure they don’t change your pet’s diet. If necessary, take your own bag of dog food and put your dog’s name on it to avoid confusion with the other dogs.
- Bring your pet’s food bowl. You can leave your pet’s own food and water bowls so that your pooch feels at home as much as possible.
- Don’t bring more toys than necessary. This will only give unnecessary responsibilities to the hotel staff. Too many toys will fill your pet’s room, taking up space. It’s also possible that other dogs will get them and you could end up losing them.
- Let the staff know if your pet has any kind of disease or pathology. Make sure it has all the necessary vaccines before entering the hotel.