How to Choose a Good Dog Hotel
Ever since different companies have noticed the need for them, pet-friendly hotels are becoming more and more popular. It used to be so difficult for pet owners to go on vacation, but now you can find your pet a good dog hotel to stay at.
We’re going to tell you what these hotels are and we’ll give you some advice to help you choose the best one. That way, you can have peace of mind during your vacation knowing that someone is really looking after your pet.
What are dog hotels?
Dog hotels are places that our dogs can stay at while we’re on vacation. They are very different from kennels, which used to be the only option. Kennels are only responsible for our animal’s basic needs: food, water, and a short walk.
However, as owners were keen for their pets to have better care, the concept of a dog hotel started to emerge. Dog hotels are prepared to meet the personal needs of our pets, going far beyond just the bare necessities.
Although there are different kinds, most dog hotels will offer:
- Individual rooms. Your dog won’t be put in a cage like he would have been at a kennel. He’ll have his own room where he can walk around freely, and he’ll have a small area to take care of his business.
- Hair salon. Your dog will be taken care of by professionals in the canine hair salons that are in the most specialized dog hotels.
- At-home pick up. If you find a good dog hotel, the staff may offer a pick-up and delivery service so you won’t have to worry about a thing.
- Web monitoring. The more sophisticated hotels will offer a webcam service. That way, you can check up on your pet right from your phone or computer, as long as you have an internet connection.
- Spas and more. In the most luxurious hotels, you’ll even find veterinary services, spas, and masseuses, as well as other options that your pet will love.
How to choose a good dog hotel
Now that we know what a good dog hotel has to offer, let’s start to think about choosing one. How can we make sure our pet is going to feel comfortable and well cared for, so that we can relax while we’re away?
Go and see the facilities
Although the internet offers us endless possibilities and we can see any establishment online, there’s nothing better than seeing it in person. Go to the hotel and take a look at the facilities. This is very important, because when you see them in person, you’ll be able to tell if they meet the required safety and hygiene standards.
You’ll be able to see the area that your dog will live in. You’ll also see the play areas and the type of food that staff will be feeding him with.
Meet the staff
Don’t settle for just seeing the place, talk to the staff. Find out who’s in charge of walking or feeding the dogs. Also, if you have the opportunity, talk to a client about the hotel’s services and if they were satisfied. There’s never a better reference than that.
Take your dog
You should also take your dog with you to check it out before you leave him there. Let him walk around a little bit to see how he feels, how he reacts and how the staff treat him. Additionally, you should observe how he acts around the other pets. Then, take him to the play area to see if he feels comfortable.
Ask about the schedule
Talk to the staff about meal times, the games they’ll play, and the outings they’ll go on. Make sure their schedule will work with your dog’s needs. If they don’t have a set schedule, they’re probably not a very organized establishment. In that case, you shouldn’t leave your dog with them.
Know their requirements
Before you leave your dog at a dog hotel, you’ll want to make sure the staff ask you for his vaccination and deworming documentation. Why? Because if they’re asking you for these documents, it means they’re asking all their other customers too. This will reassure you that your pet will be safe there, and won’t get infected by one of the other dogs.
Any good dog hotel will have a 24-hour veterinary service. You never know when a dog might require emergency assistance.It might interest you...