Can I Take My Dog to the River?
On a nice sunny day, there’s nothing better than going for a swim with your pet. However, many people don’t know if they can take their dogs to the river or if there are any laws that forbid it.
Unlike other countries, in Spain, there are no regulations or exclusive laws regulating the admission of dogs in certain public waters. However, there are places that don’t allow dogs and others that do. It depends on where you go and what time of year it is.
Is taking your dog to the river a good idea?
In principle, it’s allowed. Dogs also have fun when they go with their owners on walks and trips.
Going to the river is the perfect opportunity for your dog to take a dip, cool down, and enjoy his time outside in their natural environment. Your pet will have a lot of fun and this experience will also leave you with lovely memories.
Tips for keeping your dog cool when it’s hot outside
Intense heat not only affects your dog’s energy and mood, but can also cause heatstrokes. Therefore, it’s very important to take the following tips into consideration soo you can help keep your dog cool.
Hydration is just as important for people as it is for animals. It’s extremely important that your dog has fresh, clean water throughout the day. You have to pay even more attention to their hydration during the summer, because water tends to evaporate or heat up.
A good way to ensure proper hydration is to put water bowls or dispensers in different locations where the dog usually rests. When you take your dog to the river, it’s also essential to make sure they drink water. Thus, it’s very useful to take a drinking water with you.
Wetting your dog is a good way to keep them cool
To lower your pet’s body temperature, you can wet their head and body. In addition to a domestic pool, a day at the river can be the perfect way to keep them cool.
Precautions you should take when you go to the river with your dog
Although there seems to be no risk in spending a day with your pet at the river, there are some very useful tips to keep in mind:
- Once you’re there, remember to protect your best friend from being exposed to the sun, even if you applied sunscreen on them. You can find many different products at a store that are useful.
- Another important thing you need to do is protecticting your pet’s footpads and paws. Normally, the sand and small stones that surround the river will be really hot and can burn your pet. Thus, you should use paw protectors.
- Checkto see if there is any broken glass, soda can remains, or anything else that could cut or hurt your dog in the area surrounding the river water.
- Some parts of the river may be deep. It’s best to make sure that the animal bathes in shallow water.
- Also, you must always remember that some of the people who are bathing in the river may not like dogs. If that’s the case, you must make sure to enjoy yourself but also not bother others with your pet.
Recommended places to take your dog to the river
Huesca is a province in Spain with a lot of amazing rivers and natural pools: Alcanadre River in Bierge, Bellós and Cinca Rivers in Puertolas, Subordan River in the Hecho Valley, and the Bubal Reservoir in Biescas.
Teruel is another city with amazing places where you can hang out with your pet. It has some amazing reservoirs that are perfect for hot weather, such as the Arquillo de San Blas Reservoir. The river beaches of the Bergantes River in Aguaviva are also good options.
These are some of the most beautiful rivers in Spain. They’re excellent options if you want to go for a refreshing swim with your dog.