Why Play Games with your Dog?
Are you stuck inside with your dog because the weather's bad? Don't worry! We'll show you some unique games to play at home with your dog.
Now that it’s winter, it might be too cold to take your dog out as much as you’d like. But, this doesn’t mean that your dog has to give up his exercise and games; in fact, the opposite is true.
However, you do have to put in double the effort to ensure that those things are still part of his routine. To do that, we’ll show you some games to play at home with your dog.
Why play games with your dog?
Both exercise and games are an essential part of a dog’s life because they keep them happy and well-balanced. You should make sure they’re incorporated on a daily basis, as they provide so many benefits-physically, emotionally and mentally. Here are some:
- Helps them avoid stress. If your dog spends time on their own while you’re at work, they may get very lonely and bored. This can lead to stress that exercise and games will help to relieve.
- Improves their joints. When dogs get older, one of the parts of the body that suffers the most are their joints, just like with humans. Making sure your dog exercises and plays during his life will keep his joints and muscles stronger as he gets older.
- Develops intelligence. Games will encourage your dog to figure out how to do things; especially those that are focused on increasing his intelligence.
- Improves agility and flexibility.
- Creates a closer bond. The more time you spend playing with your dog, the closer the bond will be between the two of you.
These are just some of the benefits that playing with your dog will have on your pet, but the list is endless. However, we’re going to focus this article on the actual games that you can play at home with your dogs. Here are some ideas.
Games to play at home with your dog
Rainy? Too cold or windy? Well, we’ve got some ideas for games you can play inside so that the inclement weather won’t bother you.
Not only will this game keep your dog entertained for a long time, but it will also boost his intelligence and wit. It involves hiding some small pieces of food, his favorite treats or any food that he loves in different parts of the house.
If you want to make the game more exciting, you could put the food in Kong toys and hide them throughout the house. It won’t take long for your pet to smell them and he’ll start looking for them like crazy. If he doesn’t smell it out himself, you can show him the food, let him smell it and then go to the place where you’ve hidden it. Then, the search is on!
This game will be fun for both of you. The game starts with your stalking your dog as if he were prey. Walk towards him slowly while looking into his eyes. Then, when he least expects it, jump to grab him. This game will help improve his reflexes as well as his attention span.
There’s nothing that dogs love more than pulling on things with their mouths. So, take a rope, show it to your dog, bring it closer to him and then move it away slowly. Let him grab it and pull on it. You can hide it behind your back and start walking or running around your house with it, causing your dog to chase you. You’ll love playing this game together!
You definitely remember this game from when you were little. All you have to do is chase your dog and, when you touch him, you start to run away in order to get him to chase you. Will your dog understand how the game works? Try it out and see, it’s very easy.
Now you know that inclement weather shouldn’t keep your dog from playing and exercising! He can still get plenty of exercise with these games you can play at home.