Do You Have an Allergy to Cats? These Tips Can Help
An allergy to cats or another animal can be horrible. No matter how much you love your cat, developing an allergy can make it difficult to live with one.
It might be that you have such a severe allergy that you can’t even be around certain animals. This could be due to various symptoms.
However, for many animal lovers, an allergy to cats is the worst because there are some animals that like to be hugged and caressed.
According to some scientists, these allergies appear due to feline allergens that activate a specific bodily reaction when a common bacterial toxin is present.
This generates an immune response to people who are allergic that’s characterized by symptoms such as a runny nose, sneezing, or a cough.
If you have an allergy to cats and want to fight these symptoms, below are a series of tips that can help.
Brush your cat
Scientists at the prestigious University of Cambridge state that an allergy to cats can depend on their dandruff.
Dandruff appears mostly when they shed. This usually causes allergies to act up. Shedding can cause lots of reactions, such as sneezing and coughing.
To avoid this, the best thing to do is brush your cat once a day. Of course, someone doesn’t have an allergy to cats should do the brushing.
As many specialists recommend, this should be done outside. Otherwise, dandruff can remain inside the closed environment.
Remove their hair
This is another very effective trick to prevent cat allergies. You should try to get rid of any hair your cat has left on places where they spend their time at.
The first place to be aware of is the carpet. This is because carpets usually carry the most cat hair.
In the same way, you should be aware of your clothes, especially if your cat plays in the closet. Here are some effective ways to get rid of cat hair:
- Use a lint roller. Just by using it, you’ll only have to swipe it over where the cat has left hair and it can help remove it easily.
- Wipe your clothes with a damp cloth.
- Wear rubber gloves and wipe your hand over a surface full of hairs. The gloves help pick up the hairs quickly.
- If none of the above works, the last option is to soak your clothes in water. Wait for the hairs to separate from your clothes.
In addition to all the places where your cat may have left hair, you shouldn’t forget to clean their litter box clean on a regular basis.
Sterilize them to reduce your chances of developing an allergy to cats
Strangely enough, this surgical procedure is essential if you want to combat an allergy to cats.
The reason? Sterilization considerably reduces the production of the allergy that causes allergies, especially if the cat is male.
Also, this is an option that brings numerous benefits to your cat. Here are some of them:
- For males, it can drastically reduce their level of aggression.
- Reduces the chances of suffering from kidney problems.
- For females, it can reduce the chances of suffering uterine cancer and psychological pregnancies.
- Reduces the chances of them escaping from the house.
According to experts, the allergic reactions from a sterilized cat aren’t completely eliminated and are much less intense.
Living with animals is very beneficial to humans. This is because of the way these animals help make us more responsible.
If you want to have a cat but have an allergy, these tips can be very useful.